A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering to support a research program aiming at using methods from synthetic biology to rationally design gene delivery systems for biomedical applications.
We are seeking an exceptional and innovative individual with a doctoral degree in virology, microbiology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, or related field to lead a project to rationally optimize the Vesicular Stomatitis Virus as vectors for vaccine development.
This position is located at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, CO.
- Graduate degree in virology, cell biology, microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, or other related fields.
- No more than 3 years of postdoctoral experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with molecular biology techniques such as DNA purification, vector construction, cloning, and DNA fragment assembly methods.
- Experience with the culture and transfection of mammalian cell lines such as HEK293, CHO, HeLa, Vero cells.
- Demonstrated ability to publish research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with VSV or other RNA viruses.
- Familiarity with computational tools to analyze and model large sets of experimental data.
- Experience with automated instruments used in high-throughput genetic workflows.
- Experience with flow cytometry and fluorescence microscopy
- Ability to use different media to communicate scientific and technical issues to different audiences including members of the general public.
- Track record of successful applications to scholarships, grants, and other sources of financial support.
Essential Job Duties
- Contribute to the design and execution of experiments.
- Contribute or lead to the analysis of data generated by experiments.
- Train and supervise students participating in the research project.
- Keep laboratory notebooks and other research records.
- Lead or contribute to the writing of scientific articles.
- Assist with the development of research proposals.
- Participate in the activities of the relevant scientific organizations.
- Assist with teaching graduate-level classes on biomanufacturing and genetic design.
- Guide journal-club style discussions in class
- Provide feedback to students on project presentations
- Host guest lecturers and accompany students to site visits
- Assist with the grading of student assignments
Communication and outreach (10%)
- Contribute articles to the research group websites
- Assist with the management of the group’s social media channels.
- Work with the CSU communication team to communicate research results to the general public using different media including written articles or videos.